Tuesday 23 June 2015

NET Exclusive: Wife, son heading to Nigeria to ‘save’ Majek Fashek

Majek-Fashek


 Majek Fashek’s living condition calls for immediate attention from all those love him and respect his talent. Photo: Facebook

The deteriorating health of veteran singer, Majek Fashek has been the topic of discussion for a while. Unfortunately, not much has been done about it up till now that would be said to have worked in the favour of the ‘Little Patience’ singer.


A few weeks back, a fan ran into the veteran singer at the Fadeyi area of Lagos and he wrote a very touching story about the encounter between which has since gone viral. The story once again bought to the fore the fact that Majek Fashek truly needs help. And urgently too.

Leading the way for immediate action to help save the man Nigerians refer fondly as the ‘Rainmaker’ is his days is one of his former back up singers, Monica Omorodion Swaida who launched an online campaign to help rehabilitate the troubled music legend.

Monica doesn’t reside in Nigeria, she’s in faraway Massachusetts, U.S.A, close to Majek’s wife, Rita and the children of the Reggae/dance hall act whose prodigious talent has never been in doubt.

(Back in the good old days, Monica poses beside Majek Fashek in the 90s. Photo: Monica)

NET reached out to Monica who recalls vividly her first encounter with Majek Faskek, so as to lay the background of what she feels about the singer who has become a shadow of his former self.

‘I was introduced to Majek Fashek when I was a member of Sound on Sound. We were signed up by Aibtonia Studio at Anthony Village. I was still in high school,’ she began.

She continued: ‘Majek the best then! I was barely 15 years old. I decided to leave Sound on Sound after we had issues. Majek felt sorry for me about all that happened then. He went to my father and told him that he wanted me to travel with his band. They were going on a huge tour. I was overwhelmed then. It was too good to be true. He turned my sadness about SOS to joy! He was a big brother to me and always took care of me. He promised my dad that he would and he did! Majek never smoked or drank at that time. Such great memories for a teen at that time.’

From what Monica recalls, Majek had 3 major back-up singers at the time – herself, Jolass Court and Ify. However, Monica is the only one among the three who remains determined to lead the campaign to save her former master.

‘I just know that I have to help this brother that brought so much joy to my life at one time. He helped me when my group abandoned me. I was a kid and naive, I knew nothing about contracts. Majek took me as his little sister and helped me. There is no way I can let my brother down. I will do my best for him with the help of his fans and by the grace of God,’ she said.

Asked how she intends to go about the project of resuscitation for the man who has had such efforts extended to him in the past but ended up on the streets shortly after, Monica mentions an ongoing fundraising initiative.

‘It is going slowly, people are getting to hear about it and spreading the word. I know this is going to work. Thanks for helping me spread the word. It’s about time. Many people have been reaching out to me, wanting to know how to help. Time will tell. Right now, I am focusing on the people in the diaspora. After, we shall take it home.’

She confirmed that less than $1k has been raised but remains optimistic that the figure will surely rise further with time.

‘So far, less than $1000, but it is going to grow. I am working on it. I have stopped promoting my album for now to focus on promoting this issue. I believe we shall get enough funds to get help for him. I am working. I ask people to continue praying because it’s not easy, but with God, all things are possible.’

Monica is however not working alone, she’s in talks with Majek Fashek’s wife, Rita and the singer’s eldest son, Randy. Together, they intend to return to Nigeria when there are enough funds to step up efforts towards ‘saving’ Majek who brought joy to many Nigerians through his music.

‘The goal is not to bring Majek to the US right now. The goal is to raise money to help him get to Rehab. No money will be given to him directly. I am working with his wife and son here right now. ‘We shall be returning to Nigeria to finish the task. We shall be looking at different facilities in Nigeria. We are also looking at some in South Africa. The wife is working with me and his oldest son, Randy. They have gone through so much trauma because of their father’s case. But they are hopeful. When we have raised the needed funds, the three of us will be returning together to help him. The other sons are great.’

do not forget to comment, like and share.