Sunday 14 June 2015

My husband’s age is no problem Dabota Lawson. READ MORE

dabota

Former beauty queen and entrepreneur, Dabota Lawson-Aku, speaks about her interests and recent marriage

Q: What memories from winning the Miss Nigeria United Kingdom pageant do you treasure?

A: It was truly a beautiful moment I will never forget. Meeting with beautiful and intelligent young ladies from all over the world, learning their culture and ultimately, winning the pageant are some of the memories I treasure. I have garnered several experiences from simply participating and winning the crown and my life has been wholly different since then.

Q: Have you always wanted to be a beauty queen?

A: I have always seen myself as not just a beauty queen but more as a queen. I started participating in pageants from a young age- from my primary school up until my university days. I always kept my ears and eyes open for information about different pageants. While studying in the UK, I found out about the Miss Nigeria United Kingdom pageant online and I took part in it in a bid to fulfill my dream of becoming a beauty queen.

Q: A certain school of thought is of the opinion that most beauty queens are beautiful but not intelligent…

A: I really don’t know the origin of such principle but I am a living testimony that a beauty queen can be both beautiful and intelligent. I earned a second class upper degree in Financial Economics from the University of Leicester prior to attending the London School of Business and Finance. I am not just one who loves to make a lot of noise about my achievements, I would rather have my work speak for me. I am not the only one in the entertainment industry that has a degree. It is not something I have to keep talking about.

Q: Why did you venture into modelling?

A: I began modelling at a very tender age .I have always been passionate about being in front of the camera long before the social media boom. In between studying, I took on modelling on a part- time basis and participated in several pageants and modelling competitions in Nigeria and overseas.

Q: What was growing up like?

A: I had the best childhood and God blessed me with most amazing parents and siblings. In another life, I would choose them again and again. I have the best family. Even though my father,Mr. Monima Lawson, was the Managing Director of National Fertiliser Company of Nigeria, I started working in the UK when I was only 16 years old. I am a diligent entrepreneur; I like to build things from scratch and discover new things. Even as a kid, I used to set tasks for myself at home.

Q: Growing up what were your future aspirations?

A: I had many dreams but there is one dream that never changed because I didn’t just dream it, I believed it. I knew I was born to be a queen and would have everything a queen should own.

Q: You had a stint as a Nollywood actress …

A: I would not say it was a stint because I am still actively involved in Nollywood and the best is yet to come. Already, I have featured in more than a few movies which are yet to be released.

Q :You have diverse experience in real estate and public relations, entertainment and beauty. Where really does your interest lie?

A: By the grace of my God, I am going to be a business mogul. I am going to own several businesses all over the world and my experiences in the areas you have already mentioned will add up to where my interest lies.

Q: Do you think people have certain misconceptions about you because of your posts on social media?

A: I don’t know these people, and I cannot be bothered. I don’t waste my time and resources dwelling on unconstructiveness. A lot of people are carried away by my pictures online but there is more to me than what you see in pictures.

Q: Describe your personality?

A: Oh my God, I hate this question. How do I sum that up or even put it into words. I will simply say I am a lover of Christ Jesus, a wonderful wife; I love family, a good mum and a businesswoman.

Q:. Was it a tough decision getting married when you did?

A:For me to have gotten married when I did was not a tough decision to arrive at. It has not stopped me from being a career woman and this year, I will go into other areas of interests, which are really big.

Q:How do you manage the reactions that trail your union?

A: I’m resolute and I had made up my mind with the consent and blessings of the persons that matter most to me. Other opinions are just what they are – opinions. I take nothing to heart.

Q: Did you consider the age difference between your husband and yourself?

A: When you love somebody, you just love him or her with your whole heart. You do not think about age or anything of that nature. My husband’s age is not a problem because a marriage built on the laws of God must work regardless of age, class or origin and that is what my husband and I have going for us.

We face what God has to say before anything else.

Q:Quite a number of women would shy away from being a stepmother. How would you describe your relationship with your husband’s kids?

A: We have an amazing rapport; we are a happy family

Q:Why did you decide to marry your husband and what do you admire the most about him?

A:My husband is a selfless man; apart from God he puts me first in everything he does. And he is also a very God-fearing man.

Q:How would you describe your style?

A: I’m a glamorous woman. Even when I am dressed casually, I ensure that my hair and make-up are glamorous.

Q: What is your favourite fashion item?

A: I love my maxi dresses and kaftan because they are so easy to put on and they always look elegant on me. I also cannot live without my jumpsuits and sweatpants

Q:How do you relax and pamper yourself?

A: I do a lot of home spa remedy whilst listening to really good instrumentals. I also love taking pictures and capturing treasured moments.I eat healthy, I try to work out when I can; I take my vitamins and use good products on my skin. For leisure, I like to travel and explore different sights, sounds and wonders of the world. I read a lot of motivational and inspirational books. I take time to meditate because it helps me to relax my mind and body.

Q:What mantra do you live by?

A:You don’t lose anything by being patient and never lose yourself because of situations and circumstances around you.



do not forget to comment, like and share.